We help cancer patients
not just survive, but thrive.
A cancer diagnosis and treatment bring changes to your life and the lives of your family and friends. After you have been through a tough process and came out strong, New England Cancer Specialists wants to help you thrive and live the best life you can going forward.
Many cancer patients have at least three specialists involved in their care, which can lead to confusion about who manages post-treatment care among the patient, their family and physicians. A Survivorship Care Plan helps coordinate care to promote safety and eliminate unnecessary and repetitive testing. Your plan will tell you what to expect, so you can begin to heal, take actions to promote wellness, and lead a strong and active life.
When your treatment is complete, you will meet with a cancer survivor specialist, who will:
- Review your treatment summary.
- Take you through your care plan and guidelines for follow-up.
- Complete a full history and physical exam to assess for toxicities and/or limitations associated with your diagnosis and treatment.
- Recommend ways to decrease late and long-term side effects from treatment and to improve your quality of life.
- Recommend lifestyle changes to lower your chances of recurrence of cancer.
- Suggest ways to improve your health and emotional well-being, and to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Communicate with your primary care provider and other physicians to share information about your diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.
- Offer resources in the community to assist you in reaching your survivorship goals.
Several specific areas will be discussed and, if appropriate, we’ll suggest how you can better manage:
- Smoking Cessation
- Sexual changes
- Financial needs
- Nutritional needs/weight management
- Mental Health
- Genetic Referrals